[Mailman-Users] qrunner: Low level smtp error

Doug Hughes doug at eng.auburn.edu
Fri Jun 25 22:25:13 CEST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:12 AM -0500 2004-06-25, Doug Hughes wrote:
>
> >  initial mail queues to the daemon ok and then goes into the qfiles
> >  directory, but then mailman qrunner processes it and I get this:
> >
> >  Jun 23 17:08:05 2004 (19334) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
> >  not known'), msgid:
> >  <mailman.0.1088024883.19332.kerry-tech at potomacalliance.us>
> >  Jun 23 17:08:05 2004 (19334) delivery to root at potomacalliance.us failed
> >  with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
> >
> >  I've tried postfix and I've tried sendmail. Both give me the same
> >  message. Has anybody seen this before?
>
> 	They don't have any advertised mail servers.  When you ask their
> nameservers for MX records, you get this:
>
> % dig potomacalliance.us. mx
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> potomacalliance.us. mx
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;potomacalliance.us.            IN      MX
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> potomacalliance.us.     10631   IN      SOA     potomacalliance.us.
> doug.eng.auburn.edu. 1 7200 600 259200 14400
>
> ;; Query time: 28 msec
> ;; SERVER: 10.0.1.240#53(10.0.1.240)
> ;; WHEN: Fri Jun 25 16:53:26 2004
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91
>
> 	Repeat this process, asking their advertised nameservers
> directly, and you get the same answer.  See also
> <http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=potomacalliance.us>.
>

> 	Note that eng.auburn.edu is one of the advertised nameservers for
> this zone.  You might want to see if you can get this problem fixed.

adding MX did not help. still same error when qrunner runs.

And, I should have noticed this before. I have another server running
potato (mostly) with 2.0.13 and no issues (even though the source domain
has no MX).

Very odd..

running strace it does appear that it errors after several DNS look ups
(port 53) but prior to attempting a connection to port 25 anyplace.