[Mailman-Users] Postfix and aliases

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 13 21:04:19 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 12:07, David wrote:
> Dear gurus,
>
> I'm running Mailman 2.1.4 and Postfix 2.0.14
> I don't use the Mailman-Postfix integration to auto generate aliases
> yet. The question is how I can do that with my configuration.
>
> The thing is that I pipe my list e-mail thru two different perl scripts
> before Mailman gets into the action.
>
> It looks like this in my Postfix aliases file:
> test: "|/usr/local/mail2url/m2u324.pl|/usr/bin/2822htrim.pl [Test]
> |/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
>
> It works perfect, but I want my users to setup their own lists without
> shell access and I really want to add the perl scripts to new lists. The
> question is how to auto generate new aliases with my scripts?
>
>  Blue Skies,
>  /David

David,

This is actually a no-brainer:

 - Setup the integration to the point where Mailman generates the alises
in the file ~mailman/data/aliases.
   Don't add this file to your Postfix aliases map.

 - Run a cronjob or daemon that monitors the ~mailman/data/aliases file
for a change and then take that diff  - isolate the new list name

 - Have your Mailman alias checking program pump the new list into your
aliases file with all your alias mods.

If you are into hacking Mailman (and you should be!) you can simply add
an exec to the end of the Mailman process that updates the Mailman
aliases file - and forget about setting that off via cron (or a small
daemon). At that point you can also simply pass in the name of the new
list as a parameter to the exec and bypass the Mailman aliases file
altogether.

Good luck and happy hacking!

Jon Carnes