[Mailman-Users] One installation, many appearances?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 03:59:06 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 22:36, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD server on which I host email and web sites for a number
> of virtual domains, via postfix and apache. Several of the domains would
> like to have mailman mailing lists, as well. Can each domain have what
> appears to be it's own dedicated mailman instance, but with only one
> actual install of mailman on the server? I.e., they go to
> www.theirweb.site/mailman and see only their lists, and another domain's
> users go to www.theirother.site/mailman and see only their lists, and so on?

Yes. The caveat is that version 2.1 (the current version) will not allow
two lists with the same name so you cant have:
  test at domain1.com
  test at seconddomain.com

Though you can have:
  test-domain1 at domain1.com
  test-seconddomain at seconddomain.com

> Additionally, postfix stores and retrieves all its information for my
> email domains in a mysql database. Can mailman interface with that?

Mailman won't do the SQL database (yet), but you can set up the aliases
yourself inside the SQL database. I think that Postfix can also handle
multiple alias maps, so you might be able to simply let Mailman use the
standard text file based aliases file.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes