[Mailman-Users] re: Imap-clients subscribe OK, But Can't POST!

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon May 3 09:32:11 CEST 2004

At 2:57 PM -0700 2004/05/02, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:

>  The reason I believe it's Mailman related is because SUBSCRIBING WORKS
>  from Imap-clients but then when they POST, it doesn't come through.  I can
>  post to any other mailman-based list in the world with the same
>  Imap-client, so I know it's not that.

	Are they posting "virgin" messages to the list, or replying to
them?  If they're replying, then the reply address is most likely
getting munged somewhere, and it's probably not your server.

	If they're posting virgin messages to the exact same address
(well, address family) that they used to subscribe to the list, then
you'd need to see more diagnostic data.

>  Question:
>  How can an IMAP-client session connect just fine to subscribe to a list,
>  go through all the motions involved with confirming & tailoring said
>  subscription, and then mysteriously *not* work when it comes to *posting*
>  a message to the list *that works in all other manner*?

	This has nothing to do with IMAP.  There's a problem somewhere
with some program munging addresses, and it's hard to say where that
problem is.  Since everything else works with your server and all
your other clients, the odds are extremely high that this problem is
unique to the other server and perhaps some aspect of the other
server, and therefore unrelated to Mailman ... which means that there
is little more help that we are likely to be able to provide.

>  Someone else asked that I run a test from the sending MTA, so I did.  I
>  only wanted to prove that it's not Mailman-specific, thus the contact with
>  this list.

	The problem certainly seems to be something other than Mailman.

	As such, I think we've probably provided you with about as much
help as we're likely to be able to.

>  Mailman integrates with other open-source programs, it's natural to get
>  shunted around between the projects when a problem arises, so there's no
>  negative element, just a sincere wish to fix an intermediate-level
>  problem.

	I understand, but if the problem isn't specific to Mailman, then
you're in the area of general mail-system debugging -- which is
beyond the remit of this list.

	That said, I think many of us would be willing to try to continue
to help if we can, but you must understand that our ability to do so
may well be very limited depending on the particular MTAs, MUAs,
Local Delivery Agents, etc... that are in use on the various systems.