[Mailman-Users] Mailman does wrap long file name inattachment

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 4 18:32:30 CET 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 3:26 PM +1000 2004-11-04, James Chen wrote:
>
>>  We recently deployed Mailman for mail list service and are experiencing a
>>  interesting problem. When a mail with attachment which longer than  45
>>  characters and space in it then the file name is wrapped after passing
>>  through mailman. Please see logs  below which I popped from command line.
>
>	Mailman doesn't do any line re-wrapping like this.  This is
>almost certainly a problem with your MUA.  Try looking at the same
>message from the same list with a different MUA.

Actually, these are MIME headers, not body lines and Mailman does fold
long headers in accord with RFC2822 sec 2.2.3

The problem is that this folding is only supposed to be done where the
standard allows for "folding white space" which is where the type or
amount of white space is not syntactically significant. Here the
folding is done inside of a quoted string which represents a file name
and that appears to be wrong.

I have tested this with my own installation sending one message to me
directly, to me via Mailman listname-owner, to me via a Mailman list
and to me via the MTAs on the Mailman machine and procmail. The two
messages that went through Mailman got the file name folded and the
other two didn't.

Headers as sent and received not through mailman were

>	filename="Make the name a whole bunch longerRe  [Mailman-Users] Admin unsubscribe members by e-mail.eml"

Headers that passed through mailman were