[Mailman-Users] mailman not sending held message notifications

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Mon Nov 15 03:27:46 CET 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:15:11 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote
> Noah wrote:
> >
> >okay I am at a loss here and sure how to fix this problem.  there is a
> >maillist that is not sending administrative notifications to the
> >administrators and moderators when a moderated member posts to the list.
> >There is a message to the poster but the administrators.
> >
> >any clues how I can figure out from the logs what is going on here - because
> >the only thing that has information is the vette logs but there is no details
> >of all the admin email notifications that get sent when a message is held.
> >
> >where do I go from here?
>
> The notices are sent first from sitelist-bounces to listname-owner
> where they should be received by Mailman and resent to the
> owners/moderators.

Thanks Mark,

yeah I am okay at mailing the listname-owner address directly.  so I just need
to Verify that Mailman is able to that as well.

> The Mailman smtp log should show both transactions. You imply that this
> is one list and other lists are working in this respect. If this is
> correct, this seems to implicate the listname-owner address. Check
> the MTA aliases and also the MTA logs for problems with this address.

there is only one list that this is happening to - to the best of my
knowledge.  I set up a test list with all members moderated and I see that the
list admins are getting notified properly.

there are entries in the smtp logs but its difficult for me to decifer what is
going on with them.  I see that when mailman handles the moderated post on my
test list that there are three (3) associated emails in the ~mailman/logs/smtp
logs.

when I look at the logs in regards to the list that is not sending hold
notifications to the moderators/admins there is only one email.

the list name is 18 characters long and with the -owner it makes it 24
characters (without the domain name).  might that have anything to do with it?

what else can I check here?

cheers,

Noah