SV: [Mailman-Users] Bug?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 16 22:04:03 CET 2004

Ralph Utbult wrote:

>> >  IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>> '/var/lib/mailman/logs/error'
>>
>> 	It says "permission denied".
>>
>> --
>> Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
>
>As I see it, this info tells me that there was something wrong and Mailman (or wathever program)couldn't write to ther error log. It does not tell me what the problem was.

If the file /var/lib/mailman/logs/error exists, then it needs group
write permission for the group that mailman executes under. If the
file doesn't exist, then the /var/lib/mailman/logs directory needs the
same.

The command line program

  bin/check_perms

can help you determine what permissions are not sufficient. When run as
root with the -f option, it can fix problems. Run it whith --help for
more information.