[Mailman-Users] subscribe another list as a member

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Nov 25 16:34:17 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:10:04 -0500
Hong Jiang Tian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There were two mailing lists of lista and listb on the Mailman server.
> I created a new mailing list named listc by subscribing lista and
> listb as the only two members of listc. When I posted to listc by a
> member of lista, the mail was being held until the list moderator can
> reviewed it for approval. The reason it was being held: Post by
> non-member to a members-only list.
>
> My question:
> Is it possible to subscribe another list as a member of the current
> list with Mailman?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Hong

To add to this, I have 3 lists (announce, users, and developers).
Announce is a moderated list and the other two are subscribers
only and unmoderated.  The announce list is only used for new releases
and those notices should go to everyone, i.e. all the lists.

What I'd been doing is sending announcements to all 3 lists, but thought
it would be much more elegant to do as Hong wants, so messages to
announce are automatically forwarded to users and developers.  I, too,
ran into the "Post by non-member ..." problem.  When I "accepted" the
messages they went out, which is how I found out about "gotcha" number
2.  Replies went to the announce list (rather than the user or developer
lists), hence needed moderation.  At the moment it looks like a nasty
tangle.

As Hong says, it'd be useful to have a forwarding mechanism which
doesn't generate moderator requests and that has replies going to the
final list.

In the meantime, I'm finding mailman a great tool and using my
workaround, i.e. "CC: users; developers".

Keep up the good work!

David