[Mailman-Users] Both Mailman and Majordomo

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 1 02:31:58 CEST 2004

At 3:57 PM -0700 2004-09-30, Frank Torres wrote:

>                                                                     Ok,
>  as per Brad Knowles I am not using aliases for mailman but mm-handler
>  and an sendmail.m4 with adding an mailer called Mmmhandler,..... as per
>  the mailman documentation.

	Looking at the latest version of the README.SENDMAIL file at
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/README.SENDMAIL?rev=2.5.2.1&view=markup>,
I see that this feature was contributed by David Champion.

>  Howerver in the F=<snip> I added the 'A' flag
>  to do alias expansion but mailman seems to still fire off. I really need
>  to use the mm-handler I need to move away from have sudo access as root
>  and my time being sucked into mail list management it sucks.

	Looking at the latest version of the mm-handler.readme file at
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/contrib/mm-handler.readme?rev=1.1&view=markup>,
I see the following text:

		How do you know whether mm-handler is appropriate for you?
		Let's look at some examples. If you're running lists off your
		primary DNS domain name, you probably have a mix of lists and
		users in your namespace. Take python.org, for example: it
		hosts Mailman lists, and it hosts users' personal accounts.
		There aren't a whole bunch of either, but the ratio is
		probably fairly near 1:1. Mm-handler is not very useful here,
		because there's no simple way to separate user addresses from
		list addresses -- not to mention that mm-handler is written in
		perl, so that's just bad form.

	The implication is that mixing Mailman-hosted mailing lists with
much of anything else is a bad idea.  Such as mixing Mailman and
Majordomo lists on the same domain.

	Try setting up dedicated domains for the Mailman versus Majordomo
lists, and handling those via sendmail virtual domains, and I imagine
that should work.

	Of course, that's exactly what you said you didn't want to do,
but unless you're willing to fiddle around with aliases files (or use
the sendmail version of the postfix auto-alias generation script at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037514.html>),
I don't see any other alternative.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755