[Mailman-Users] Email command upgrade

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Oct 5 10:52:48 CEST 2004

At 4:58 PM +0900 2004-10-05, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>                                   The rest of the time, it's trivial to
>  format them as a pulldown or popup menu.

	You mean that you think they're going to understand or remember
how to use a pulldown or popup menu?  For the class of luser we're
talking about, I find that very hard to believe.

>                                            Wouldn't _you_ prefer them
>  that way?

	No.  I prefer them to be shown at all times, which is what
Qualcomm/Eudora does by default, unless you go out of your way to
change that configuration.

>             The only question is how to properly draw attention to the
>  facility so it doesn't get lost in the Macromedia[tm] Flash[R].

	If it's not shiny-shiny, they can't understand it.  If it's
anything more than shiny-shiny, they can't understand it.  Let's face
it -- they can't understand it no matter what.

	They couldn't find their butt with both hands, in a room with
mirrors on all surfaces, and a set of detailed instructions with
diagrams.  We're expecting that they'll be able to operate an MUA?

>                                                    But we can and
>  should (IMHO) encourage them to offer the users something which is a
>  _clear_ (even to one looking through stained-glass Windows)
>  improvement over Murky-sloppy software.

	Can and do.

>      Uncle Benji> "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to
>      Uncle Benji> purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither
>      Uncle Benji> Liberty nor Safety."
>
>  True, but remember: deservedly or not, they outvote us 100 to 1.

	It doesn't have to be that way.  If you are a member of the
zombie majority that lets people steamroller over you because you
believe this to be true, you can join activist groups like
moveon.org, and help to make your voice heard.  If you don't agree
with their political agenda, there are probably other activist
organizations whose political agendas you find less offensive.

	But it is vitally important that you vote.  Even though we are
all just individuals, we can be surprisingly loud if we all decide to
speak up at the same time.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755