[Mailman-Users] Understanding Bounces

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 6 01:17:06 CEST 2004

Mark Pallo wrote:

>I too have been confused about the whole bounce process.  When I was with
>Majordomo I got these all the time.  I want to see emails that go to the
>list and are returned for reasons such as "mailbox is full", or "user
>unknown" etc.  I have the following menu iten under Bounce Processing set to
>NO.
>
>Should Mailman perform automatic bounce processing?
>(Details for bounce_processing) NO
>
>Why do I not get these emails.  Am I missing something?
>

>Jim Tittsler wrote:
>
>> On Oct 5, 2004, at 04:24, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>> I run a few lists where it's important to know that the message was
>>> delivered to everyone on the list.  So, although I'd like mailmain to
>>> continue to manage bounces, I'd also like to get a notification of
>>> every bounce. [...]
>>> I'm not 100% clear on the Bounces options.  If I disable the first
>>> item: "Try to figure out error messages automatically?"  That turns
>>> off all bounce handling, right?
>>>
>>> If I disable that will *all* the admins see every bounce?
>>
>> Yes.  The admin(s) will see each bounce, just as they see the ones now
>> that the bounce processor doesn't know how to understand.  But that
>> also stops Mailman from managing the bounces.

Jim's response was to a question about Mailman 2.0.11. I don't know if
2.0.11 was different in this respect in more than the wording of the
option, or if Jim was mistaken, but it looks to me that in 2.1.5 if
bounce_processing for the list is false (No), BounceRunner returns
without logging or attempting to forward the bounce.