[Mailman-Users] How to keep archives at a manageable size?

Paul Williams paul.williams at uwex.edu
Mon Oct 25 16:55:58 CEST 2004

We have over 300 lists, many are being archived and we allow
our members to send attachments.

The archives are rapidly using up all the disk space on
the partition.   We could remotely mount a larger
partition, but that would just delay the problem, because
it looks like mailman archives will just keep growing without
bounds.

Looking through the documentation I haven't found a good
solution as to what I need to do to manage the archives.

I don't have time to individually edit each

  ~mailman/archive/private/list-name.mbox/list-name-mbox

and delete older messages, plus the owner of a list might
not agree with me as to what should be removed and what should
be retained.   I suppose I could delete anything older than 6
months or some other limit, but I certainly don't want to edit
300+ files by hand.

Also the mbox files are getting rather large and makes editing
them difficult.

How do other groups keep their archives managable?

Any assistance is welcome.

paulw