[Mailman-Users] Using mailman with dial-up Internet access

Hilton J Ralphs mailman-users at think.co.za
Sun Sep 5 12:41:15 CEST 2004

Quoting Steve Mansfield <lists at webvivant.com>:

> My setup is this: Linux box running Fetchmail, Postfix, Procmail, Qpopper,
 Apache. This sits on a LAN and access the net through an ISDN router. My
 plan was to have list messages go to a POP server at my hosting provided
 from where I would download them with Fetchmail, which would then forward
> them to user 'mailman' on this server. Any problem with that?

Certainly not, works like a charm.

> Now, obviously I'm going to lose the web-based features for users, so it's
 going to be an email-only system. What I'd like to know is how much of a
 loss that would really be. I can get a list of the features I'd be missing
 from the manuals etc - what I really want to know is how important people
 feel this is - ie, a subjective response. Am I really crippling the system
 this way (and would therefore be better off opening a group on Yahoo), or
 would I be losing only moderately useful features? All informed opinions
> would be gratefully received.

At the end of the day it depands on various factors;

a. what do you intend to use the list for? one way distribution list or
interactive like this one?

b. if interactive, then the question is whether it is a closed list or open to
anyone who wants to join. Closed shouldn't be a problem, subscribe everyone
upfront and then it's no problem. Public list needs to be advertised somewhere.

c. hosting the list via dialup means that the response time between posting an
email and getting the mail will obviously be longer and may cause frustrations.

Good luck.

--
Regards
Hilton