[Mailman-Users] Using mailman with dial-up Internet access

Steve Mansfield lists at webvivant.com
Sun Sep 5 12:16:56 CEST 2004

I understand that it's perfectly possible to use mailman on a server that
has only dial-up access to the Internet. However, I'd like to get a firm
grasp of the downsides of doing this before I go to the effort of
installing it.

My setup is this: Linux box running Fetchmail, Postfix, Procmail, Qpopper,
Apache. This sits on a LAN and access the net through an ISDN router. My
plan was to have list messages go to a POP server at my hosting provided
from where I would download them with Fetchmail, which would then forward
them to user 'mailman' on this server. Any problem with that?

Now, obviously I'm going to lose the web-based features for users, so it's
going to be an email-only system. What I'd like to know is how much of a
loss that would really be. I can get a list of the features I'd be missing
from the manuals etc - what I really want to know is how important people
feel this is - ie, a subjective response. Am I really crippling the system
this way (and would therefore be better off opening a group on Yahoo), or
would I be losing only moderately useful features? All informed opinions
would be gratefully received.

--
@+
Steve