[Mailman-Users] Problem with incorrect link to archives: It linksto someone elses site!!

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 6 06:24:30 CEST 2004

Chanchao wrote:

>I'm not quite sure if this is a know bug or a configuration issue
>somewhere.. Problem is that the "Go to list archives" link points to a
>completely different site that I've never heard of. Note that this happens
>no matter how I set the archiving settings (archiving on or off, public or
>private, it makes no difference)
>
>Now my users are worried that users of this other site are having access to
>our mail.
>
>Any thoughts?  The link is here:
>
>http://bkknights.netasia.org/mailman/private/list_bkknights.netasia.org/
>
>And somehow this results in some San Fransisco based astronomers website
>that I have nothing to do with.

If I go to the above link, I get to the "list Private Archives
Authentication" page, presumably for your list. I can go no further
without the e-mail address and list password of a subscriber.

You should be aware that both domains netasia.org and
sfaa-astronomy.org appear to be hosted by TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM and
all four names bkknights.netasia.org, netasia.org,
www.sfaa-astronomy.org
and sfaa-astronomy.org resolve to the same IP address 66.36.242.244.

I don't think you need to worry about the San Francisco Amateur
Astronomers accessing your list archives because like me, they
wouldn't be able to log in. Anyway, if I try to go to their web site,
that's where I wind up.

>Virtual internet worm hole? :-)   It's possible that the SF based site is
>hosted on the same hosting provider as my domain is; that's the only
>connection I can think of.

As I note above, this seems to be the case. This is an issue for your
hosting provider and/or your domain registrar to work out. It appears
to be either a mistake or a misconfiguration of the web server at
66.36.242.244.