[Mailman-Users] 2.1.[45]: config.db.last not found

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Sep 8 20:16:25 CEST 2004

Folks,

I am experiencing a strange problem with Mailman 2.1.[45] (it does
not matter which version I try; I can't try 2.1.3 because it won't
let me downgrade...), and I don't really know when it started. We
had some problems with a server and had to reboot it. Since then,
Mailman does not come up anymore:

  gaia:~# /etc/init.d/mailman start
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists", line 122, in ?
      main()
    File "/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists", line 94, in main
      mlist = MailList.MailList(n, lock=0)
    File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
      self.Load()
    File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 609, in Load
      raise Errors.MMCorruptListDatabaseError, e
  Mailman.Errors.MMCorruptListDatabaseError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/adapt/config.db.last'
  Site list for mailman (usually named mailman) missing
  Please create it; until then, mailman will refuse to start

The file does not exist, since Mailman is using .pck files by now
(as stated in the check_db source code):

  It's okay if any of these are missing.  config.pck and
  config.pck.last are pickled versions of the config database file
  for 2.1a3 and beyond. config.db and config.db.last are used in all
  earlier versions, and these are Python marshals.  config.safety is
  a pickle written by 2.1a3 and beyond when the primary config.pck
  file could not be read.

Why is it still trying to read the .db files? The .pck files are in place:

  gaia:..b/mailman/lists/adapt# ls -la
  total 8
  drwxrwsr-x    2 root     list           62 Sep  6 17:00 ./
  drwxrwsr-x   61 root     list         4096 Aug 30 17:24 ../
  -rw-rw----    1 list     list         4858 Sep  6 12:00 config.pck
  -rw-rw----    1 list     list         4858 Sep  6 09:00 config.pck.last
  -rw-rw-r--    1 root     list           29 Feb 10  2004 request.db

And fix_perms finds no problems.

One thing I did note is that if I look at
/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py:609 where the exception is
thrown, is that the 'else' on line 605 does not really have
a corresponding 'if'. Or am I just getting thrown off by Python's
weird indentation syntax?

I'd be grateful for any pointers.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

if you find a spelling mistake in the above, you get to keep it.