[Mailman-Users] Filtering by file type - is it possible

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Sep 13 05:07:52 CEST 2004

Howard Moscovitz wrote:

> We recently received a message from a masqueraded user. The included
> attachment was a file of type ".pif". It had a virus which fortunatley
> didn't do any harm.
> Our list accepts attachments. Most come in as mimetype
> application/octet-stream. I can't filter out these
> application/octet-stream attachments, but I can identify the filetypes
> we can accept. Is there a way I can filter out messages that have
> attachments with filtypes I don't want?

If you want to strip/pass attachment by content-type header then go to
admin/<listname>/contentfilter page and activate the filter. As most
viruses fake content-type and send .exe file by image type and so on,
you may want to hold/reject/discard by admin/<listname>/privacy/spam
filter. Then you should try this patch: