[Mailman-Users] illeagal email address

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Sep 16 17:04:16 CEST 2004

On 9/12/2004 20:15, "Al Mellis" <amellis at comcast.net> wrote:

> we are having a problem with the following type of email address
>
> weincek_g/li at dns.u46.k12.il.us
>
> it seems that the forward slash is having mailman listserv reject this email
> address and any others loke it.  Is there a way around it?

Well, the address is legal per the RFCs.  Some MTAs protect themselves
against the damage such addressing can do (eg, when computing a local part's
mail directory path, and the address is crafted to do harm) by disallowing
it in their default configurations.

I haven't looked at the Mailman code...so I can't say whether your problem
is at the MTA level or the Mailman level (where it could be fixed by changes
to Mailman).

What do you mean by "reject"?  What sort of bounce message/rejection is
weincek_g/li at dns.u46.k12.il.us seeing?

  --John