[Mailman-Users] illeagal email address

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 17:15:34 CEST 2004

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 8:04 am -0700 "John W. Baxter"
<jwblist at olympus.net> wrote:

> On 9/12/2004 20:15, "Al Mellis" <amellis at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> we are having a problem with the following type of email address
>>
>> weincek_g/li at dns.u46.k12.il.us
>>
>> it seems that the forward slash is having mailman listserv reject this
>> email address and any others loke it.  Is there a way around it?
>>

> Well, the address is legal per the RFCs.  Some MTAs protect themselves
> against the damage such addressing can do (eg, when computing a local
> part's mail directory path, and the address is crafted to do harm) by
> disallowing it in their default configurations.

Yep, if you are on pretty much any linux/unix/macosx system, then using a
slash in a list name is asking for trouble. My *guess* is that the Mailman
code would prohibit it. After all, Mailman uses the list name as a file or
directory name in several places.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team