[Mailman-Users] No Bounce Notification

Tony web at thetrick.us
Sun Sep 19 22:41:00 CEST 2004

See comments below:  It appears without the knowing what the logs are
saying, there is little that can be done.  I have logged a case with the
helpdesk and will let you know the results.

Thanks again for your help and responses.  At least I understand a bit of
what is going on.
Regards,
Tony

>Thanks for the info and your help Mark.  I have done some looking at the
>Cpanel site, but will do some more.
>
>I sent the test message per your instructions and as a result, the list
>owner received this message:
>unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).
>
>For more information see:
>http://domain.com/mailman/admin/list1_domain.com/bounce
>-------------
>
>It appears the bounce process is processing the messages, but is only
>forwarding on unrecognized messages.  What is it doing with recognized
>bounce messages?

Yes, the message above is exactly the expected result for an
unrecognized bounce. For a recognized bounce, bounce processing should
note the bounce in the bounce log I've mentioned before (actually, it
does this for the unrecognized bounces as well). It then updates the
bounce score for the user and takes any appropriate action as
determined by the options on the Bounce Processing page for the list.

The settings you reported earlier in this thread should unsubscribe the
user and notify the list owner on the first bounce.

>The settings in Cpanel are minimal and the settings in Mailman appear to be
>correct.  I prefer not going to the webhoster helpdesk blind without having
>a sense of the problem.  Does the above statement of the problem appear to
>be accurate?   Anyone have any additional thoughts?

My thoughts are:

1) Is the list actually sending mail? (I assume you would be asking
different questions if it weren't, but assumptions are always risky.)
-Tony-
Yes, mail is being sent to the "one" good address on this testlist

2) Are there actually invalid addresses on the list that should be
bouncing? (It would be easy to mass subscribe one to be sure. Maybe
you've already done this.)
-Tony-
Invalid addresses are as follows:
12345 at operamail.com; abc at abc.abc; noaddess at yahoo.com; tony at tony.tony

When I subscribed everyone on my testlist, I received the bounce
confirmation for all of the addresses that were just added, included the
invalid ones.

3) What's in the Mailman bounce log?
-Tony-
Wish we knew.  I don't have access to them

4) Are there any relevant entries in the Mailman error log (in the same
directory as the bounce log)?