[Mailman-Users] Modify member address

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Tue Sep 21 03:47:18 CEST 2004

On Sep 20, 2004, at 20:39, saravanan ganapathy wrote:

> Now I need to change my domain from a.z.com to z.com,
> Due to this effect, I have to change all of my
> member/owner addresses ( *@a.z.com to *@z.com).

You can change all of the members in a list using a tiny Python script
using the bin/withlist framework, and then use a shell script (or
another Python script) to loop over all of your lists.

If you create /usr/local/mailman/change_addr.py containing:
#---- change_addr.py ----
def change_addr(m):
     old_addrs = []
     for member in m.members:
         if member.rfind("@a.z.com") > 0:
             old_addrs.append(member)
     for member in old_addrs:
         m.changeMemberAddress(member, member.replace('@a.z.com',
'@z.com'))

     # change the list owners' addresses
     new_owners = []
     for owner in m.owner:
         new_owners.append(owner.replace('@a.z.com', '@z.com'))
     m.owner = new_owners

     # save the updated list
     m.Save()
#---- change_addr.py ----

Then doing 'bin/withlist -q -l -r change_addr mylist' would change all
of the member subscriptions in 'mylist'.  A shell loop to do it for all
of your lists:
for list in `bin/list_lists -b`; do
     bin/withlist -q -l -r change_addr $list
done
(Leave off the -q to watch it in action.)

Confirming you have good backups of all your lists before doing any
manipulation with withlist is a good idea.  :-)

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/