[Mailman-Users] Re: Newbie requesting basic how-to

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 24 03:20:40 CEST 2004

At 9:52 AM -0500 2004-09-23, Chris Barnes wrote:

>  Quite frankly, "old underpowered laptops" shouldn't be used as server
>  machines (running a MLM is a server application, even if it is one that
>  doesn't consume many resources).

	Actually, I do that kind of thing myself.  See
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dnscomparison/> and
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/mtacomparison/>.  For both
talks, one of my key testbed machines was an old Compaq Armada 4131T
laptop with a 133MHz Pentium processor (F00F bug intact), 48MB of
RAM, 10GB hard disk, running FreeBSD 4.6.2-REL.  This machine is
still my primary server in the house, although I've got lots of other
boxes I've acquired since then that I need to install and configure.

	This machine has a BIND caching nameserver (I used it to test out
the latest BIND 9 code), an NTP time server (I use it to test out the
latest ntpd code), as well as a full squid web proxy cache server.
But I would never be so silly as to consider running any kind of a
GUI on it.

	It's a server that sits on a table in a corner and runs without
maintenance or intervention, and has 322 days of uptime.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755