[Mailman-Users] Probe Message Problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 24 20:24:46 CEST 2004

Gary Kaplan wrote:

>One of my users informed me that she got this message in which a couple
>hundred address from the list were disclosed. I want to know if there is a
>way to stop this. I don't want everyone who gets a probe message to see
>everyone's email address. I have noted where the address are listed but left
>the actual addresses off.
>

>>This is a probe message.  You can ignore this message.

<snip>

>At this point it lists a couple hundred email addresses
>
>Then is says this:
>
>>Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
>>From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon at washington.hostforweb.net>
>>To: Upcnews-bounces at upc-online.org
>>Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
>>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:02:19 -0400
>>
>>This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
>>
>>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
>and list the addresses again.

It appears that Mailman is appending the bounce message to the probe
and in this case there were "a couple hundred" subscribers in the
washington.hostforweb.net domain that bounced.

In any case, this seems to be sufficient reason to not append the
original bounce mesage to the probe.

I'm far from fluent in Python, but it looks like either

  self.sendProbe(member, msg)
in the routine
  def registerBounce(self, member, msg, weight=1.0, day=None):
in Bouncer.py

or
  outer.attach(MIMEMessage(msg))
in