[Mailman-Users] check_perms errors

Tim DeBoer tdeboer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:30:24 CEST 2005

I've managed to get my web interface to mailman working, but... when I
run check_perms I see all this.
# bin/check_perms
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/check_perms", line 380, in ?
    checkall()
  File "bin/check_perms", line 196, in checkall
    os.path.walk(d, checkwalk, STATE)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/posixpath.py", line 290, in walk
    walk(name, func, arg)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/posixpath.py", line 282, in walk
    func(arg, top, names)
  File "bin/check_perms", line 110, in checkwalk
    mode, gid = statgidmode(path)
  File "bin/check_perms", line 83, in statgidmode
    stat = os.stat(path)
OSError: [Errno 62] Too many levels of symbolic links:
'/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/mailman'

Also, when I try to actually send an email to my list, I get this in my maillog
Aug  9 10:27:05 chad Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group
"mailnull", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
group "mailnull", or re-run configure,  providing the command line
option `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.
Aug  9 10:27:05 chad postfix/local[95804]: 878207AB672:
to=<timlist at chad.bytz.net>, relay=local, delay=1, status=bounced
(Command died with status 2: "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
timlist". Command output: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the
mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailnull", but the
system's mail server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try
tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailnull", or
re-run configure,  providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=mailman'. )

I think I understand what it's telling me to do here, I just don't
know where to change it. Should I make 'mailnull' group part of my
"mail" group which also includes my postfix user?

Thanks folks!

--
Tim DeBoer

Just once, I'd like it if someone called me "Sir".
Without adding "You're creating a scene".