[Mailman-Users] Incorrect mail being received on mailman list

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Tue Aug 9 18:15:09 CEST 2005

On 8/9/05 7:37 AM, "Richard Hobbs" <richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have routers setup in exim, in the following order:
>
>  - mailman_router:
>  - dnslookup:
>  - system_aliases:
>  - userforward:
>  - spam_router:
>  - localuser:
>
> Lets say our domain is "domain.com" and we have one mailing list named
> "fred".
>
> When emails are sent through exim to the address "fred at somewhere.else.com",
> they are actually accepted by mailman and delivered to "fred at domain.com".
> This is obviously incorrect.
>
> Should mailman be reconfigured to only accept mail for particular domains,
> or do I have the routers in a non-perfect order?
>
> Any advice is very much appreciated :-)

There are more complete answers on the Exim-users list, which I happened to
read after Mailman-users this morning.  I would still reorder the routers as
below, but the mailman_router should also select for only the domains which
contain lists.  See exim-users.

You have the routers out of order.

You don't want to be doing "local" aliasing while messages for the world are
still being considered by the routers.  mailman_router after dnslookup
should do the trick, given your router list above.

  --John (just bitten by a much more obscure version of the problem on one
of our non-public machines)