[Mailman-Users] Questions about Mass Subscriptions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Aug 17 05:35:17 CEST 2005

David Scribner wrote:

>The export from the old list server is in the format of:
>
>First Name Last Name <tab> address
>

>Can Mailman import the list that way and associate the person's name
>with the address?

Not exactly. You will need to edit the list to put angle brackets
around the address as

First Name Last Name <address>

See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.044.htp
for various acceptable formats.

>Also, some of the people are Digest subscribers and the current list
>server has them as a separate subscription list.  Is there some way
>that I can do a Mass Subscription of those addresses and have them
>all set to be Digest Subscribers or do I need to add them and then go
>through the list of Subscribers and set them to Digest manually?

Do the mass subscribe in two steps. Go to the Digest options page and
set "Which delivery mode is the default for new users?"
(digest_is_default) to Digest and then mass subscribe the digest list.
Then set "Which delivery mode is the default for new users?" to
Regular and mass subscribe the non-digest list.