[Mailman-Users] Question about 'Footer' that is automatically addedby MailMan & Members List Info

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 25 01:26:50 CEST 2005

Joe Espinoza wrote:

>1.) Questions On Footer
>
>In a few test messages that I've sent out with MailMan, I notice that
>MailMan adds a footer, something like this:

>Now in your FAQ, it does give some examples of variables that are used
>in order to generate the footer.
>
>My question is, if I want to totally edit the footer and possibly add
>let's say a jpeg/gif to it...is this possible? If so, how?

You can't add html tags (actually characters '<', '>' and '&') to the
footer because these characters are escaped to prevent cross site
scripting attacks. In any case, the footer is always added to the
message as plain text so any html or any kind of attachment would not
be properly rendered in any case.

>If I want to completely strip out the footer, so it either shows no
>information or the footer is not even added...is this possible? If so,
>how?

Yes. Just go to the list's Non-digest options page, remove the text
from the msg_footer box and click "Submit Your Changes". Then no
footer will be added.

>2.) Questions On Members List
>
>Within the MailMan WebUI it allows me to view the Members List. I can
>also go to the specific WebUI for each specific Mailing List and view
>the member info there.
>
>My question is, is there a way to 'download' or 'export' this
>information in plain ascii/text format? Is this information already
>kept in a similar format somewhere in the MailMan directories?

bin/list_members

See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.009.htp
(not a complete list).

The membership list is stored as a Python pickle also containing member
options, list config, etc. in the file lists/<listname>/config.pck.

See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp