[Mailman-Users] Some users do not get emails

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Fri Aug 26 14:45:55 CEST 2005

On 8/26/05 4:04 AM, "Tim Howes" <thowes at ssi-ltd.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am reasonably new to using mailman and I have a problem that I cannot
> trace.  I have setup a list which is essentially private.  I have managed to
> test the list by subscribing myself - however the main users of this list at
> Company A do not get any emails i.e. the initial confirmation email hence
> are not able to use the list.
>
> I have made sure that the different types of emails are in their spam
> program to be by passed i.e. listname-owner or listname-request@
>
> I have also test by using hotmail accounts and gmail accounts and they seem
> to be fine.
>
> The only clue I have at present is that the log /var/log/mailman/bounce
> appears to have entries for this failed attempts.  But I cannot be sure if
> it my setup that is preventing the emails are their system.
>
> Example log entry
>
> Aug 25 12:00:35 2005 (32397) bounce message with non-members of listname:
> someone at companyA.com
>
> My mailman version is mailman-2.1.1-5 on RHE3
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers on this.

If your message to the list came from the same host which sends the mailing
list mail to the list, it is quite likely that companyA.com's mail server is
refusing the messages.  You list message entered the Mailman-users mailing
list system here:

    by bag.python.org (Postfix) with ESMTP
    for <mailman-users at python.org>; Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:05:30 +0200 (CEST)

host 62.89.146.20
20.146.89.62.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
62-89-146-20.pool.free.th.hotchilli.net.

(Line broken by email client.)

That IP is on the Spamhaus list, and likely many others.

Check the log entries your MTA creates when you try to send a list message.

  --John