[Mailman-Users] [mailman-users] receiving list mail from account towhich mail cannot be delivered

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 22 00:19:23 CET 2005

webster at lexmark.com wrote:

>I see two ways to do this:
>1)  Make it a list member with 'nomail' checked.
>2)  When this account first tried to send e-mail to a list, it was not a
>member, the note was held, & the moderator was notified.  On the
>moderators html page (/admindb/), I can check the box 'Add ... sender' &
>select the radio button 'Accepts' .
>
>So, now a few questions:
>1)  Can/How #2 be done before-hand (before the e-mail is held because the
>sender is not a member of the list), on the website ?
>2)  related to #1:  How can this 'accept this address as sender' be undone
>?

For both 1 and 2 go to the admin Privacy options...->Sender filters
page and look at the Non-member filters.

>3)  & most importantly:  Is there a way to make this default for all new
>[created] lists ?  Can I set some 'default' so that a specified e-mail
>address is either accepted as a sender without being a member, or make it
>a member which doesn't receive mail ('nomail'), for all new lists at their
>creation ?

No. You can set

DEFAULT_GENERIC_NONMEMBER_ACTION = 0

in mm_cfg.py, to accept posts from all non-members by default until you
change it, but this isn't what you want.

You could do something like the following:

Create a file containing the one line

accept_these_nonmembers = ['the_bot at example.com']

Then you could create a shell script similar to

#!/bin/sh
bin/newlist $1
bin/config_list -i path/to/file/above $1

and use that to create lists. I can't think of a similar way to do this
if you want to create lists from the web.