[Mailman-Users] Large mailing lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 22 05:27:17 CET 2005

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

>Another question.  Most of the time VirginRunner is at max CPU,
>sending address removal notifications.  I have already set the lists
>to zero bounce notifications.  Is there a separate config item for
>"you have been removed" messages?

There's no config setting for this. Current code unconditionally
notifies the user who is removed by bounce.

Code in Mailman/Bouncer.py is

    def sendNextNotification(self, member):
        info = self.getBounceInfo(member)
        if info is None:
            return
        reason = self.getDeliveryStatus(member)
        if info.noticesleft <= 0:
            # BAW: Remove them now, with a notification message
            self.ApprovedDeleteMember(
                member, 'disabled address',
                admin_notif=self.bounce_notify_owner_on_removal,
                userack=1)

If you change the last of these lines to

                userack=0)

there will be no notice on any list. If you change the last of these
lines to

                userack=None)

notification will be controlled per list by the list's send_goodbye_msg
setting on the General Options page.

If you make either of these changes, it would be good to change the
comment too.

BTW, I think you have a new record for list size. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.015.htp>.

Also, WRT your other questions, there's not too much on this in the
FAQ, but searching the FAQ wizard
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> for the words performance
and tuning will turn up what there is.