[Mailman-Users] Large mailing lists

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 22 08:23:12 CET 2005

At 10:46 PM -0500 2005-12-21, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

>  Another question.  Most of the time VirginRunner is at max CPU,
>  sending address removal notifications.  I have already set the lists
>  to zero bounce notifications.  Is there a separate config item for
>  "you have been removed" messages?

	If you split the lists into multiple sublists with a parent
umbrella list, you should be able to significantly reduce Python
"pickle" contention when trying to update the mailing list status for
these removals.  You should be able to process multiple sublists in
parallel, and you can tune the sublist size for the largest chunks
which have relatively minimal contention.

	For sites running really large lists but which have otherwise
applied all the standard performance tuning things within the MTA, I
think that this is probably one of the biggest additional performance
enhancement that you can do for Mailman-hosted mailing lists.

>  One propety of these lists is that there is a high incidence of bad
>  addresses - the developer of the web front end refuses to do any kind
>  of validation before they are added to the mailman backend.

	You might want to see if you can get that process improved.  If I
didn't know better, it would sound to me like you might be running a
spam house, and I would take a very dim view of that.  If you can
reduce the amount of garbage going into your system, then you can
greatly reduce the amount of garbage coming out, and the amount of
time you spend processing that garbage.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755