[Mailman-Users] Mailman problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 1 19:31:56 CET 2005

Matthew R Anderson wrote:

>Key Problem - Monthly reminders aren't being sent out to some lists; I have
>several configured to do so.  I've checked logs/smtp, logs/smtp-failure, and
>logs/error and I can't even see an attempt to mail reminders, let alone any
>errors to provide an explanation.  In all other regards, lists seem to be
>working wonderfully, and I've really not begun to tackle this problem after
>2 months because I've been so blessed.
>
>The one thing I can see that seems to coincide with the trouble is that any
>action on these lists isn't being properly logged in logs/smtp.  Whereas I
>would properly see something logged like so:
>
>Jan 31 00:47:35 2005 (1192) <mailman.0.1107154053.16170.list at lists.iddx.net>
>smtp for 538 recips, completed in 1.197 seconds
>
>...when I see activity on the "questionable" lists, I see this:
>
>Feb 01 02:01:36 2005 (1192) n/a smtp for 22 recips, completed in 2.479
>seconds
>
>n/a?  :)  I can't seem to locate any explanation for this.  Help!

The n/a means the message object has no message-id attribute. As to
why, I don't know. Is there a Message-Id: header in the posts received
from the list?

>Furthermore, is there a way to manually generate password reminders?  I'd
>like to be able to manually kick out a reminder once I get this all fixed
>up.

Yes. Just run cron/mailpasswds. In fact, to try to diagnose this
further, what happens if you manually run

cron/mailpasswds --listname=<list>

where <list> is one of the problem lists?