[Mailman-Users] Mailman installation across two servers

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Feb 17 17:15:58 CET 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 2:08 AM, Tony.McCrory at local-press.net wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like to keep my setup simple here.  Web servers run apache.  Mail
> servers run sendmail.  The two are never mixed.

What we did when we had to do this was simply set up the web machine as
a proxy. you still run mailman via apache on your main box, but nobody
talks to it, all the web traffic proxies through the apache on the
other box. Works fine, takes about 10 lines in the http.conf, and
allows you to put the mailman machine safely behind a firewall and the
web stuff into a DMZ zone.

If you absolutely, positively don't want to run apache on the mailman
machine at all, you're asking for grief. But running it behind a set of
ACLs that lock it down so only the proxy machine can talk to it works,
is a lot simpler, and still secure.