[Mailman-Users] HTML In lists and archives.

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 23 17:50:24 CET 2005

At 10:36 AM -0600 2005-02-23, Geoff Staples wrote:

>  1. Am I correct that I cannot send a message in html to the list without
>  having part of it broken out into attachments unless I do not send a mailman
>  header or footer to the list?

	They're not attachments.  They're different MIME bodyparts.  Some
very broken MUAs choose to inappropriate display them as
"attachments".

	But no, you can't have anything at all in the footer, unless you
want to risk having this problem.

>  2. Can I use html in the header and footer and then have html in the body
>  without it braking out?

	Nope.

>  3. Is there a way to have Mailman insert header or footer information
>  directly into the body of an email sent to the list?

	Nope.  See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.037.htp>.

>  4. Does the use of a different archiving system such as the one used for
>  this list eliminate the html problem - at least with the archives? Or, is
>  the item already broken out into attachments before it goes to the archiver?

	The message is sent to the archiving system in exactly the same
format as is transmitted to the users.  How the archiving system
handles that is up to it.

>  5. Is the only solution to have Mailman convert everything to plain text and
>  be done with it?

	If you don't want any of your users to see any kind of
"attachments", then this is the only effective solution.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755