[Mailman-Users] Giant lists

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Feb 24 22:42:23 CET 2005

At 12:15 PM -0700 2005-02-24, Tyler Strickland wrote:

>  I'm sorry Cabel, but I'm going to have to take away your 'largest list'
>  title.  The AdoptionWeek E-Magazine, currently run with MailMain,
>  sendmail, and the MySQL MailmanMemberships patch
>  (http://kyrian.ore.org/MailmanMysql/) currently serves 124,329 members.
>  This is a one-message-per-week list with _very_ tight restrictions on
>  who can send out, so our load is probably lower than comparable
>  discussion lists.

	I'll update the FAQ.  Thanks!

>  The list was originally converted to Mailman about a year ago by a
>  different admin, so I'm not too familiar with how it was initially
>  set up.  I do eventually hope to upgrade the server from Solaris an
>  old Sun 250 to Linux on something modern, though, and when that time
>  comes I'm sure I'll be a _very_ active member of the list.

	A Sun E250 is getting pretty old in the tooth by now.  A fast
Intel-based box would likely be a good candidate for a replacement,
but keep in mind that your primary limiting factors on a system like
this are going to be the quantity of RAM that you can stuff into the
box, and the speed/latency of the underlying disk subsystem, etc....

	Personally, Linux would not be my first choice -- I'd go with
FreeBSD instead.

>  Right now it's taking us roughly 2-3 days to send out a single message to
>  our whole list, so if anyone has any sendmail performance tips, I'd be
>  glad to hear them.  I'm more of a postfix guy, myself, so sendmail is a
>  whole new world for me.

	I've tried to encode the majority of my sendmail performance
tuning tips at
most of which comes down to "buy the book by Nick Christenson".  My
own sendmail performance tuning slides pre-date the ones that Nick
put together, but I was a technical reviewer for the book, and the
book is definitely better than either of the sets of slides.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755