[Mailman-Users] Virtual domain setup problem

paul at topguncomputers.com paul at topguncomputers.com
Sun Jan 2 13:25:08 CET 2005

Postfix version 2.0.16
Fedora Core 1
mailman 2.1.15

First off none of my email accounts on my email server are local.  All are
virtual mailbox domains.

Now I have a domain topguncomputers.com  that accepts the most common email.

the fqdn of my server is server.topguncomputers.com

So in postfix

$mydomain = topguncomputers.com
$myhostname = server.topguncomputers.com
$myorigin = $mydomain
$mydestination = default postfix setting.
$virtual_alias_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/valias,hash:/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
$alias_maps=hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases

in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST='topguncomputers.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST='list.topguncomputers.com'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAIN=['list.topguncompuers.com']

Ok now if I send an email to the following address

mailman-owner at lists.topguncomputers.com

postfix finds it in the virtual-mailman table.  and converts it to mail-owner

The problem I'm  having is that than it trys to append the domain name
topguncomputers.com to that and hence forth can't find that email address
cause it doesn't exist.

So basically

mail-owner at lists.topguncomputers.com

gives me an error of unknown user mail-owner at topguncomputers.com in my
postfix queue.

oh the ower of this mailling list is root at topguncomputers.com. And that
account does exist and gets email regularly from my server.