[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 1
barry at python.org
Mon Jan 17 01:08:55 CET 2005
On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 18:29, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I put together a tarball for Mailman 2.1.6 beta 1
I forgot to add the NEWS file excerpt of changes since 2.1.5:
- Most of the installation instructions have been moved to a latex
document. See admin/www/mailman-install/index.html for details.
- VERP_PROBES is disabled by default.
- bin/withlist can be run without a list name, but only if -i is given.
Also, withlist puts the directory it's found in at the end of sys.path,
making it easier to run withlist scripts that live in $prefix/bin.
- bin/newlist grew two new options: -u/--urlhost and -e/--emailhost which
lets the user provide the web and email hostnames for the new mailing
list. This is a better way to specify the domain for the list, rather
than the old 'mylist at hostname' syntax (which is still supported for
backward compatibility, but deprecated).
- Added the ability for Mailman generated passwords (both member and list
admin) to be more cryptographically secure. See new configuration
variables USER_FRIENDLY_PASSWORDS, MEMBER_PASSWORD_LENGTH, and
ADMIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH. Also added a new bin/withlist script called
reset_pw.py which can be used to reset all member passwords. Passwords
generated by Mailman are now 8 characters by default for members, and 10
characters for list administrators.
- Allow editing of the welcome message from the admin page (1085501).
- A potential cross-site scripting hole in the driver script has been
closed. Thanks to Florian Weimer for its discovery. Also, turn
STEALTH_MODE on by default.
- Chinese languages moved from 'big5' and 'gb' to 'zh_TW' and 'zh_CN'
respectively for compliance to the IANA spec. Note that neither language
is supported yet.
- Python 2.4 compatibility issue: time.strftime() became strict about the
'day of year' range. (1078482)
- New feature: automatic discards of held messages. List owners can now
set how many days to hold the messages in the moderator request queue.
cron/checkdb will automatically discard old messages. (790494)
- Improved mail address sanity check. (1030228)
- SpamDetect.py now checks attachment header. (1026977)
- New feature: subject_prefix can be configured to include a sequence
number which is taken from the post_id variable. Also, the prefix is
always put at the start of the subject, i.e. "[list-name] Re: original
- List owners can now use Scrubber to get the attachments scrubbed (held
in the web archive), if the site admin permits it in mm_cfg.py. New
variables introduced are SCRUBBER_DONT_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME and
SCRUBBER_USE_ATTACHMENT_FILENAME_EXTENSION in Defaults.py for scrubber
- Filter attachments by filename extensions. (1027882)
- Bugs and patches: 955381 (older Python compatibility), 1020102/1013079/
1020013 (fix spam filter removed), 665569 (newer Postfix bounce
detection), 970383 (moderator -1 admin requests pending), 873035
(subject handling in -request mail), 799166/946554 (makefile
compatibility), 872068 (add header/footer via unicode), 1032434
(KNOWN_SPAMMERS check for multi-header), 1025372 (empty Cc:), 789015
(fix pipermail URL), 948152 (Out of date link on Docs), 1099138
(Scrubber.py breaks on None part), 1099840/1099840 (deprecated %
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 307 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/attachments/20050116/3053c2ba/attachment.pgp
More information about the Mailman-Users