[Mailman-Users] Are the "regexps" used in Mailman really RegularExpressions?

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Thu Jan 27 05:27:20 CET 2005

Thanks for the quick response, Mark.  The web site you provided below is VERY helpful to me.

I'm still experimenting with another issue in 2.1.5, so my hypothesis may be wrong, but it is
kind of looking like the "acceptable aliases" part of the Privacy options in "Recipient
Filters" is case sensitive.  So, if I enter MailingList at foo.org as the address of the list

Can anyone refute or confirm this hypothesis?

Jeff G.

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Jeff Groves wrote:
>

>>Are the regexp used in Mailman similar to those used in awk?
>>
>>If so, why don't you have to escape characters like "." in an email address?
>>
>>Is there anywhere that has a "HowTo" on the regexps standard used in Mailman?
>

> They are Python regular expressions. See
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/lib/re-syntax.html
>
> Strictly speaking, you do have to escape ".", but many people don't
> because they think that the "." in "^[^@]*@example.com" probably
> wouldn't match anything else.
>
> Also, in several cases such as for example the *_these_nonmembers
> lists, an entry can be either a literal address or a regexp. It is a
> regexp only if it begins with "^", and in these cases the leading "^"
> is both an anchor and means what follows is a regexp.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Law of Procrastination:
         Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has
         the feeling that there is nothing important to do.