[Mailman-Users] Uppercase list name

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 31 19:14:02 CET 2005

At 12:20 PM +0100 2005-01-31, simeli wrote:

>  i created a list named dai-news. now when i post a message, it reads To:
>  Dai News in the email client. is there a way i could force mailman to
>  keep this in lowercase?

	You can change the name of the list in the web interface, but you
are only allowed to change the case of the characters.  You should be
able to go ahead and do this immediately, without any further
information or assistance.

>  also, we have an internal network that the xserve runs on. so let's say
>  it's named server.int. now if i want people from outside to be able to
>  access the listserver, they would need a different domain to be
>  mentionned in the post, say office.company.com/mailman/blabla... i
>  changed this in /usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py but it seems that
>  mailman is not taking over the changes? any suggestions?

	Mailman wasn't designed to be used without the web interface.
There are some people who manage to do without using the web
interface for administrative functions, primarily because they're
running such large lists that the web interface would be impractical.
Under these circumstances, if you know what you're doing, most
everything you would want/need to do can be done from the command
line, or with a little programming.

	But the web interface is a pretty big part of the user experience
for Mailman, at least with respect to managing their subscriptions,
etc....  There are some basic e-mail commands that users can take
advantage of to handle some of the most important things, but I don't
think it would be practical (or even feasible) to completely turn off
the web interface.

	If you already have Mailman installed on an internal server and
you want to make that externally accessible, you could always install
a proxy on an externally accessible machine at your site, which turns
around and makes the internal content available to external people.

	Alternatively, you could move the Mailman installation to an
externally accessible server.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755