[Mailman-Users] Umbrella Lists

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Tue Jul 26 07:07:04 CEST 2005

Marc Silverman wrote:
> Forgive me if I didn¹t locate a solution to this ­ I did find some posts
> about Umbrella Lists, but nothing addressed my problem:
>
> I have a dozen mailing lists.
> I created an Umbrella List to post to all of them.
> The posts go out, but each separate list Holds the message for Admin
> Moderation:
> Reason:    Message has implicit destination
>
> No matter what I¹ve tried, I cannot get my post to not hit the ³Hold for
> Admin Moderation²
>
> Facts you might want to know:

Don't need to know anything more than what you have above:

<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?query=Message+has+implicit+destination&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search>

Finds a FAQ entry which explains this message:

1.9. What does "message has implicit destination" mean?
It means that the address for the list was not found in the To: or CC:
headers.

Typically this is due to one of a couple reasons:

1) Your list has a different domain name (FQDN) than you think it does,
or than was used as the target address of the message. See the second to
last entry on the main list configuration page to ensure that you have
this set properly.

2) The message was BCC'ed (blind carbon copied) to the list, and was
actually not addressed to the list directly (not that you can see).

If you're running an umbrella list, you may want this message to be
accepted by the sub-list. To do that, in the sub-list's admin screen, go
to Privacy Options / Recipient Filters / Alias Names, and enter the name
of the umbrella list as a valid alias.