[Mailman-Users] Changing "From"-Header in mailman created posts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 3 18:08:08 CEST 2005

Garvin Hicking wrote:

>I want to use Mailman in a "posting-only" setup with a few hundred
>users. Setup so far with mailman 2.1.6 on a Debian-Exim System  went
>smooth so far.
>
>What I want now is that only one single user is allowed to post to the
>list, all other users may only read what's posted. I can achieve this
>via setting all but one member to "moderated". This one member can then
>post to the list, and the list would use his email adress as the
>mailinglist adress.
>
>The problem with this is that every user can now send mails to the list
>by just faking the "From" Adress with that one posting user.

Set everyone moderated and use an Approved: header to post. See the FAQ
- article 3.11

>The only way to bypass this seems to either:
>
>1.) Enable global moderation. That is a bit cumbersome since I have to
>visit the admin panel each time I post a message. But then I can control
>that no other user abuses the mail adress to post.

Post with an Approved: header - see above.

>2.) "Obfuscate" the posting user mail adress, so that users only see
>"mailman at host" instead of "userXYZ at host". Since nobody sees/knows this
>mail adress, this is fairly safe. However the drawback is that all mails
>are now sent with the mail adress of the list: "mailman at host".
>
>Now I want to use method 2) but I also want that the From: Field looks like:
>
>From: "My personal newsletter" <mailman at host>
>
>The problem is I cannot get a way to pass this "My personal newsletter"
>string into the headers. There seems to be no configuration directive
>for this field, and it is always autogenerated via "From:
>listname at hostname".
>
>Which core Python file would I need to hack to inject this descriptive
>string? Or is there some other way to set an explicit "From" adress, so
>that I can enter '"My Personal Newsletter" <mailman at host>' somewher in
>the interface?

In Mailman 2.1.6, you should be able to just set anonymous_list to Yes
and list_description to My personal newsletter (in 2.1.6, the From:
for an anonymous list is "list_description <listname at hostname>").