[Mailman-Users] Send Mail delay

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 9 01:59:38 CEST 2005

smeg <Smeg at ostat.com> (Chris) wrote:

>    I have recently set up mailman (2.1.5p2) and am very impressed with it.
>    I have a question though, is it possible to have it delay the
>sending of the messages?
>    If  send to many emails in period x through my mail server it locks
>me out for about 1 hour. If i could specify a time delay between each
>message, this would fix the problem.
>    What i find is my mail server will only allow about 100 emails
>/hour. My list has about 80 people on it, so if 2 messages are sent in
>in one hour i have a problem.

You can't do this directly in mailman. There are some discussions of
these kinds of issues in the archives for the mailman-users list, but
I can't find any right now.

Even if you could do as you suggest, I don't think it would be a good
idea. Suppose your list started getting more than 24 posts per day.
You'd never work through the backlog.

Here's a thought. Set your list so only digest subscribers are allowed
(nondigestable = No on Non-digest options), make sure
digest_send_periodic is Yes and set all your current subscribers to
digest. Then set the crontab for the senddigests job to run it every
hour.