[Mailman-Users] Need assistance trouble shooting problem after moving Mailman from one box to another moving Mailman from one box to another

Bill Landry billl at inetmsg.com
Thu Jun 23 00:50:49 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Waters
  To: Bill Landry
  Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Need assistance trouble shooting problem after moving Mailman from one box to another moving Mailman from one box to another

  On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Bill Landry wrote:

    You should have an entry in your Postfix main.cf like (pointing to your correct aliases paths):

    alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

  This may be a part of the problem.  I looked at the file and neither of these exist.  But the lines allso have # so I thought those were comments...

    This will report any incorrect file/group permissions, or, to correct any file/group permissions issues, run as root:

    check_perms -f

  This seemed to work I believe. a number of lines said fixed.

      How do I rebuild the aliases.db file?

    bin/genaliases
  Here is what I get here:

  rxweb:~ tcwaters$ sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases
  postalias: fatal: open /private/var/mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases", line 116, in ?
      main()
    File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases", line 106, in main
      MTA.create(mlist, nolock=True, quiet=quiet)
    File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 232, in create
      _update_maps()
    File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
      raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
  RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /private/var/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

Hmmm, where exactly do your Mailmail aliases files live?  There appears to be some be some conflict in the paths shown above.  Try executing the genaliases command from the mailman top-level directory as:

    sudo bin/genaliases

and see if that works for you.  Also, please keep posts and replies on the list, helps to build the archive for future reference.

Thanks,

Bill