[Mailman-Users] 'Group mismatch error' problem

Kevin Ratcliffe kev at bolton-sfc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 15:36:50 CET 2005

Hi

Can anybody help me please.  I've installed Mailman as per the install
instructions.  I am using exim as my MTA.
I configured mailman with './configure --with-mail-gid=mail
--with-cgi-gid=apache'
I installed exim with the user and group 'mail'.
I followed the instructions to configure exim for mailman.
My MTA seems to be working fine.
But I cant seem to get any mailing lists to work.
I can sbuscribe to groups but never get an email reply.

when I do a '$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post', I get:

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "mail", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "root".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mail", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.

when I check Mailmans smtp-failure log, I get:

Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
refused'), msgid: <mailman.0.1111586446.1267.mailman at magic.bolton-sfc.ac.uk>
Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) delivery to kev at bolton-sfc.ac.uk failed with
code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')

I am assuming that exim cannot do the delivery because it cannot run the
'$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post' script.

Can someone please give me a clue where I am going wrong.

Kev