[Mailman-Users] 'Group mismatch error' problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 23 19:17:28 CET 2005

Kevin Ratcliffe wrote:

>Can anybody help me please.  I've installed Mailman as per the install
>instructions.  I am using exim as my MTA.
>I configured mailman with './configure --with-mail-gid=mail
>--with-cgi-gid=apache'
>I installed exim with the user and group 'mail'.
>I followed the instructions to configure exim for mailman.
>My MTA seems to be working fine.
>But I cant seem to get any mailing lists to work.
>I can sbuscribe to groups but never get an email reply.
>
>when I do a '$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post', I get:
>
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>wrapper script to be executed as group "mail", but
>the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>group "root".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "mail", or re-run configure,
>providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.

This happens when you run the command as user/group root. What happens
when Exim runs it? If exim (or you) runs it as group 'mail', it should
be fine.

>when I check Mailmans smtp-failure log, I get:
>
>Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
>refused'), msgid: <mailman.0.1111586446.1267.mailman at magic.bolton-sfc.ac.uk>
>Mar 23 14:27:36 2005 (1390) delivery to kev at bolton-sfc.ac.uk failed with
>code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')
>
>I am assuming that exim cannot do the delivery because it cannot run the
>'$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman post' script.

No, that is probably not the reason since the '$MM_PREFIX/mail/mailman
post' script is run for an incoming post and the smtp-failure message
above is related to an attempt by Mailman to send some message
(generated by mailman judging from the msgid) to you. Mailman is
unable to connect to the outgoing MTA via SMTP. If you haven't changed
SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT from their defaults in Defaults.py, this means
Mailman can't connect to 'localhost' port 25. This is probably an Exim
or system configuration issue, not a Mailman problem per se.