[Mailman-Users] AOL Issues

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Mar 24 01:16:25 CET 2005

On 3/23/05 1:59 PM, Dave Dewey at ddewey at cyberthugs.com wrote:

> Quoting Heather Madrone (heather at madrone.com):
>

>> This has been happening on and off for some time.  There's no good
>> way to tell which address is reporting the list as spam (AOL certainly
>> won't tell you), so it cannot be easily removed.
>
> Actually there is.  If you use VERP and setup a feedback loop through AOL,
> the complainer's email address is included in the complaint sent back to you
> through the loop.

That's what I do. Prior to turning on VERP for every message (originally I
had it set to VERP every tenth message), I had a couple reported as SPAM but
without VERP, the feedback loop is not much help.

So now everything is VERP'd plus there's a message at the bottom that says
"Attention AOL users: You have voluntarily subscribed to this list. If you
server." While it hasn't happened since, if one does get reported as spam, I
do mean it about banning them from the server. Right into my Postfix
sender_checks they will go.

-- Larry Stone
   larry at stonejongleux.com
   http://www.stonejongleux.com/