[Mailman-Users] MTAs

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Mar 26 03:31:58 CET 2005

On 3/25/2005 17:12, "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> This whole Exim 3/Exim 4 thing is not a problem with postfix.
> Don't get me wrong, postfix isn't perfect.  But what flaws it has
> tend to be less visible than this, and the issue of upgrading from
> one version to another usually has more to do with whether or not a
> binary package with the new version has yet been prepared, or whether
> they're willing to take the risk of going straight to the original
> source.

Philip is very conscious of backwards compatibility, and very consciously
broke it in the Exim 3 to Exim 4 transition, because the old configuration
system and the old way of managing messages had been outgrown by reality.

There are several configuration defaults which are suboptimal in today's
world, but are not being changed because they would break backwards
compatibility.

Most Exim version upgrades are a matter of making the change, then deciding
what new features to use and adding them to the config (and perhaps removing
workarounds for feature lacks and bugs which have been fixed).

But at any rate, Exim 3 to ?? Is a very good opportunity to consider Postfix
rather than Exim 4 as the ??.  Mailman 2.x to 3.0 will likely present a
similar opportunity to look around at what else there is.  (The seemingly
never-ending lack of Majordomo 2 was what moved us to Mailman from
Majordomo.)

  --John