[Mailman-Users] Permissions On Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 31 04:18:33 CEST 2005

Rejean Proulx wrote:

>I've managed to mess up the permissions on mailman as a result of a
>typo.  who should own /var/log/mailman?  I am getting the error below.
> If it isn't permissions on logs, I'd appreciate help in determining
> what I need to fix.  I am running Mailman on Debian.  I must admit, I
> feel rather foolish.

In most cases Mailman's directories should be drwxrwsr-x and be group
'mailman'. I'm not sure if the owner is important, but it's often root.

Your trace shows:

>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck'

mailmanctl is trying to read the configuration for the 'mailman' site
list and is unable to do so. This is where the permission issue is.

Have you tried running

bin/check_perms