[Mailman-Users] How do the spammers do it?

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Sat May 14 22:13:30 CEST 2005

At 12:54 PM -0700 5/14/05, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>I think JC's explanation is likely. I have two public lists on the same
>server, the smaller list is actually older, but only the larger list
>gets spammed. In many cases the spam is sent to both the list address
>and the list-bounces address. Thus it seems likely that these
>addresses are harvested via spyware of some kind from a list recipient.

Or on a routing server somewhere on the network.

Putting spam filters upstream from Mailman is a big help with this sort
of spam.  When I moved Mailman onto my own server, I installed spam
filters, and they catch almost all of the spam destined for the lists.

--
Heather Madrone  (heather at madrone.com)  http://www.madrone.com

Le hasard favorise l'esprit préparé.  -- Louis Pasteur
[Fortune|chance|luck] [favors|promotes|assists] the
[ready|prepared|open|waiting] [mind|spirit|wit].