[Mailman-Users] Subscribing someone from a CGI script

Steve Vance stv at well.com
Thu Nov 3 08:34:59 CET 2005

I have Mailman set up and working, for several mailing lists. On one of
them, the mailing list is part of a website which has a form you can
fill out. You can put in your name, e-maill address, what you're
interested in, etc. One of the items on the form is a checkbox,
"Subscribe me to the listserve". I'm trying to get this checkbox to work.

The CGI is coded in PHP and Perl. I have tried various ways of
automatically subscribing someone to the Mailman listserve in question,
but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. I have had PHP do the
command line "bin/add_members", and nothing seems to happen. The other
thing that I have encountered is of course "Group mismatch error.
Mailman expected the CGI wrapper script to be executed as group
"nobody", blah blah blah". I realize this is a safety feature, so that
my listserve isn't hacked. But now, it is me doing the hacking, and I
want to allow it!

My Web Hosting ISP runs the Mailman installation thru CPanel, and won't
let me recompile Mailman or anything drastic like that. Any ideas on how
I can easily accomplish what I want to do? Some kind of Mailman "API"
that will let me add and remove members from another process?

This would come in handy in several other ways. I would also like to
have columns in my MySQL membership database about which listserves the
member is subscribed to, some way of automatically keeping that
up-to-date. Also, I don't seem to have stumbled across a "Newsgroups
<--> Mailman" gateway. Did I just overlook that?

  stv